Job Title: Project Manager
Department: Facility Management, Arena and Event Operations
Reports To: Executive Vice President, Facility Management and Strategic Projects
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Prudential Center is a world-class sports and entertainment venue located in downtown Newark, New Jersey. Opened in October 2007, the state-of-the-art arena is the home of the National Hockey League’s (NHL) three-time Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils, Seton Hall University’s NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball program, and more than 175 concerts, family shows and special events each year. Ranked in the Top 10 nationally by Pollstar, Billboard and Venues Today, Prudential Center is recognized as one of the premier venues in the United States and around the world, and welcomes 1.75 million guests annually.
Prudential Center and the New Jersey Devils are seeking an experienced Project Manager to oversee, manage and execute projects across all facility management disciplines. These projects will include capital improvements, construction projects of varying size as well as operational initiatives. The Project Manager will be responsible for the cost efficient and effective management of all projects from creation to execution. This position will serve as the first point of contact internally for managers and employees as well as external vendors, contractors, suppliers and manufacturers as it relates to all aspects of the projects. This position will require commitment and the flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Devils Arena Entertainment, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of project management process, including capital improvements, construction projects and operational initiatives;
- Prepares project related documents for distribution internally and externally;
- Resolve day-to-day scope issues as they arise;
- Maintains drawing and sketch logs;
- Prepares drawing packages for distribution to Subcontractors and internal stakeholders;
- Works in coordination with stakeholder to issue drawings and sketches after the contract to ensure they are appropriately cross-referenced with Cost Events;
- Develops and maintains submittal registers to keep accurate accountability project management software;
- Reviews and analyzes all submittals for contract scope, accuracy and questions;
- Processes all submittals (shop drawings, samples, catalog cuts) and distributes them to applicable trades for execution (prior to and after approval from Owner/Architect) within timelines;
- Enters data as it is collected into the software system and takes action as needed to expedite approvals before work is initiated;
- Reviews and processes all requests for information (RFI) between the Subcontractors/Owners, etc.;
- Distributes information, gathers pricing information and subcontractors to prepare cost estimates;
- Submits Cost Event notifications to stakeholders within timeframe required by contract;
- Prioritizes submittals to ensure adequate lead times for equipment and materials are provided to maintain the schedule;
- Ensures that an appropriate site-specific safety program has been developed for the project(s) assigned;
- Identifies long lead items to be purchased;
- Monitors project buy-out to ensure compliance with project schedule requirements;
- Reviews schedule forecasts (4-week look-ahead) to ensure their conformity with project schedule;
- Works to ensure project cost breakdown is accurately entered into project management software;
- Obtains, reviews, and approves subcontractor schedule of values prior to the first application for payment submitted by subcontractors;
- Prepares budget modifications, contingency adjustments and reserve adjustments within 48 hours of approval;
- Generates Change Orders and issues supplements as required within 48 hours of the change order receipt;
- Actively reviews job cost status reports to monitor financial progress compared throughout the course of the project and reports irregularities within 24 hours;
- Reviews, codes and approves all project invoices including expenses (vendors), internal invoices (tool reports) material (purchase orders), and subcontractors within 48 hours of receipt;
- Works with the finance department to ensure data entry compliance;
- Leads in the collection process of outstanding or late Applications for Payment;
- Develops submittal register at beginning of project when specifications are available and ensures submittals are in contract scope, accurate and maintained in Prolog;
- Conducts pre-installation meetings in advance of the start-of-work date for each subcontractor and stresses work quality issues at each subcontractor meeting;
- During the Pre-Construction period, may assist with the Request for Proposal (RFP) response, schedule and logistics plan;
- Obtains Certificates of Insurance for submission within specified deadlines;
- Participates in project kick-off meetings to provide appropriate project information to the project staff;
- Provides a list of permit requirements with sufficient lead time to obtain building permits within specified deadlines; uses a Permit Expediter as appropriate;
- Conducts subcontractors meetings at appropriate intervals, but at least every 10 days, and generate meeting minutes;
- Ensures compliance of field reports;
- Prepares all necessary project reports for review at the Project Review Meetings;
- Develops a flow or logic diagram to ensure compliance of and tracking of inspections, et. al., to ensure that a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued before the necessary deadline;
- Generates Certificate of Substantial Completion document;
- Monitors punch-list development by the Project Superintendent and track the status via Prolog;
- Works with the operations on tracking of O&M and equipment start-up documentation;
- Ensures timely closeout of subcontractors;
- Records and maintains the status of punch-list and close-out documentation via project management software system;
- All other duties as assigned.
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- Construction Management Coursework preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be proficient in Excel and project management software;
- Must be self-confident, resilient and possess a high energy level and enthusiasm;
- Must be a strategic and critical thinker who is dynamic, forward thinking, extremely analytical and well organized;
- Must possess a strong research background and be an “out-of-the-box-thinker”;
- Must have the ability to rise to the challenge and provide the hard work necessary to succeed;
- Must possess outstanding problem solving capabilities to address and resolve issues that face a growing enterprise.
- Must have well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to a wide variety of audiences, demonstrating strong communication skills;
- Must be comfortable with engaging in a variety of different communicative modes (verbal, non-verbal, and written) and being attuned to others through strong active listening skills;
- Results and bottom-line oriented yet will possess sensitivity towards people and values;
- Must have the ability and willingness to maintain an impeccable professional appearance;
- Must have the ability to demonstrate uncompromised judgment and discretion with regard to interpersonal relationships;
- Must have a strong sense of self-awareness and emotional intelligence;
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and use upmost discretion when privy to sensitive information;
- Must be flexible & reliable team player, both within own department and within company as a whole;
- Must possess a strong ability to manage one’s own time and prioritize tasks;
- Must be able to identify problems, their sources, and their potential solutions while continuing to successfully conduct day-to-day operations without interruption;
- Must have a strong command of reasoned, measured decision-making based upon analyzing the pros and cons of each potential decision to be made.
May be required to travel on rare occasions (<5% travel); trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay for one or more nights.
This position requires the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
The incumbent primarily works in an office environment, however, is expected to attend events that may take place on weekends and holidays.