This position will serve as support and administrator for the development and execution of day-to-day and long term community relations initiatives. An internship in the community relations department will provide you with valuable experience planning and executing major fundraisers and events, working with the non-profit charitable foundation of the Carolina Hurricanes – the Kids ‘N Community Foundation, developing and maintaining community partnerships, fulfilling community donation requests, coordinating player appearances and fan experiences, and more.
This position is a season internship running from August to April . Please make sure to list availability of season or summer in application.
Typically, candidates selected have a background in Communications, Public Relations, Sports Marketing/Management, Event Management or Hospitality.
- Take role in coordinating Kids ‘N Community Foundation Annual Fundraisers and community initiatives including but not limited to the Canes 5K, Annual Golf Tournament, Skate with the ‘Canes, We Love the Hurricanes Luncheon, Casino Night, Hurricanes Alumni Game, NHL Online Auctions, and the Food/Toy Drives.
- Assist with the Hurricanes Heroes charitable ticket distribution program by contacting local non-profit organizations and coordinating ticket distribution.
- Coordinate and fulfill community requests including fan mail, community donation requests and appearance requests.
- Assist in game night activities including the Silent Auction, coordinating the community table and helping with special ticket programs and special player opportunities.
- Database management of donations and autographed memorabilia inventory.
- Assist with school programs and assemblies on an as-needed basis.
- Maintain the Community Relations portion of team’s website – pictures and writing.
- Help coordinate the Carolina Hurricanes Pick Up A Book And Read incentive reading program by maintaining reading records, distributing class materials, and planning end of year recognition luncheon.
- Design and write collateral material for special events and communication pieces
Qualifications required of applicant:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Passion to work in the sport industry and with non-profits
- Ability to work well with others
- Willing to work extended/unusual hours (i.e., game nights and special events)
- Ability to successfully multi-task and maintain organization
- Proficient computer skills (e.g., Excel and Word)
- Must pass a criminal background check.
***Potential candidates must be able to work 10-15 hours in the office (PNC Arena) in addition to committing to work at least 2/3 of game nights and special events during the week and on weekends.***
PNC Arena is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides for a drug free workplace.