Internship Description: Community Relations
Department: Community Development
Mentor: Manager of Education and Community Partnerships
The Community Relations intern will assist with key projects directed to improving our community, sustaining the Blue Jackets’ reputation as a good corporate citizen, as well as assisting in the fundraising efforts for the Blue Jackets Foundation.
Duties and tasks:
School Assembly (Stinger’s Power Play)
- Assists with scheduling school appearances.
- Assists with prepping items needed for event, setup/tear down and execution of 25 school assemblies.
- Captures photo of event.
Reading incentive and academic achievement (Book Jackets / Student Achievers)
- Assists with day-to-day execution such as teacher/parent communication and prize fulfillment.
Stinger’s Reading Team
- Assists Stinger with monthly appearance at libraries to hand out items to kids and take photos.
- Assists mascot with monthly appearances in the community to hand out items and take fan photos.
- Assist with holiday parades by driving promotional vehicles.
Equipment Swap / NHL Green Initiative
- Assist with distributing vouchers to local rinks for equipment donation.
- Assist with set up/tear down and execution of annual equipment swap.
- Log donated equipment all season-long through NHL Green net initiative.
Help maintain/updates to educator database.
Assist with prep and execution of seasonal events such as Golf Tournament, CannonBall, Pen Pal partnership.
Assist with game nights as needed for Foundation fundraising such as 50/50, silent auction and merchandise kiosk.
- Recognize the needs of community and how the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Columbus Blue Jackets Foundation are addressing those needs.
- Knowledge and understanding of event planning.
- Knowledge and understanding of database management.
- Understanding of basic guest relations techniques.
- 20-30 hours per week to consist of weekday office hours, evening and/or weekend game nights and community events/appearances
- Internship Timeline - September thru Mid-April (May-June pending playoffs)
- Must be enrolled in a four-year college or university.
- Course credit required for internship.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
Please note this is an unpaid internship.