Position Title: Manager, Media Relations
Reports To: Director, Media Relations
Supervises: Full-time intern and game-night staff
Manage day-to-day hockey media relations efforts, including writing all game notes and press releases, game credentials and overseeing the press box operation on game nights. Also assists with effective off-ice media exposure for team marketing and business initiatives with community relations, tickets, youth hockey and corporate sponsorships. Some travel and other duties as assigned by the department.
· Assist the Director, Media Relations as well as the Vice President, Communications with all responsibilities.
· Write and distribute press releases and media advisories for all on-ice and off-ice activities, including games, ticket sales, marketing, corporate sponsorship, youth hockey, community relations.
· Compose media notes for all games (home and away) and produce/distribute Blackhawks Game day document.
· Work as media relations representative on road games and other off site events to insure proper media presence.
· Manage media servicing, including press lounge on practice and game days, and press box on game nights.
· Manage credentialing operations for all Blackhawks events, including but not limited to practices, games, Prospect Camp and Blackhawks Convention.
· Track media coverage of all Blackhawks events and announcements through daily news clippings (distributed to front office staff electronically) and news clippings archive.
· Compose media notes for all games (home and away) and produce/distribute Blackhawks Gameday document on game days.
· Coordinate all hockey information services for media including daily maintenance of the Blackhawks media website and distribution of hard copies of statistics/news clippings/game notes on practice and game days.
· Pitch non-traditional and human interest stories to media contacts.
· Manage media for public appearances by Blackhawks players/coaches, both in advance of the event and on-site at the event.
· Manage all full-time and game night interns for the Media & Public Relations department.
· Manage television/radio broadcast recaps for each game.
· Other projects as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts, Public Relations or Communications.
· Must have 6-7 years of experience with a pro sports team in media or public relations.
· Strong local and national media contacts required.
· Must have travel experience with a professional sports team, and ability to do so on a regular basis.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Strong knowledge of hockey, including but not limited to, rules, history, stats, etc.
· Strong skills in Word & Excel.
· Must have strong working knowledge of social media.
· Attention to detail; team oriented.
· Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as directed by game and events schedule.